Speaker Chair Steve Schlott (also known as “Father-in-law” and/or “Your Eminence” to Joe Bushey) talked about how he took money from the bank and began fixing up his “getaway cars”: After retiring from banking, he has spent time refurbishing old cars and travel trailers, now spending time in Bradenton when the weather here gets to be too much (3 days of snow this week???). His Optimist Club involvement began with his father’s membership and then his own enrollment in 1977. Thanks, Steve!
After President Jack Proffitt opened the meeting, Phil Holmblade led in the Pledge of Allegiance and Lynn Eastman gave the opening and audible prayer. Bill Hentgen, feeling his affluence and aggressive urges this morning, bought the auctioned crown for $1.25 and quickly began to exercise his royal privileges.
Marsha Franks from Weiss Advocacy Center was to have been our guest speaker today, but a health emergency precluded her presence.
In her absence, reports regarding Board business were discussed –
- $8500 given out for Scholarships, VSA Arts, Children’s Miracle Network, and Special Olympics
- 30-day Raffle fundraiser set
- Chicken Dinner 11 AM to 2:30 April 26th at Masonic Temple in Downtown Flint
- Board Meeting 6 PM May 14th at the Bridge
- Special Olympics May 15th
- Dodging for Dollars 10 AM to 2:30 May 16th at Boys and Girls Club of Flint
- Children’s Miracle Network June 7th
- Optimist Leadership Conference June 13th
Until next time,