Robin Chamberlain visited us this morning to share information about Answer Center for Women. This organization dedicated to encouraging young people toward “positive life decisions” has been providing counseling and material support to prospective or new parents who may benefit from having support (including access to clothing, diapers, formula, etc.) and skills (breast-feeding, parenting skills, pregnancy and relationship management, and even cooking) in their critical transition. Publicized primarily through “word of mouth” and funded entirely by donations, the Answer Center relies on a paid Director and 12 volunteer staff (three working per day) to meet with approximately 15-20 young women (and men) per week, most of the visitors aged 17-21 years (but some as young as 13 and several adults in need). Besides donations, garage sales are considered good resources for ways to provide “Pac-‘n-Play”s, cribs, car seats (which can quickly become “outdated”), and clothing up to size 3T for children.
Before Speaker Chair Mic Goulet introduced his guest speaker Robin, he re-introduced Mike Butz, his return breakfast guest after Pledge and Prayer. (Thanks, Kevin Wainwright and Ken Cullen!) Bill Hentgen offered Flint Symphony tickets for this weekend’s performance, and Steve Schlott passed around “Thank You” cards for member signature (recognizing the work that Linda Lawson and Matt Mrasek have provided for years to our Club. Before our guest speaker drew Dan Crannie‘s ticket for the “50/50 Drawing” for $16.00, President Greg Hilliker reminded members of several important dates:
- Dues are due (Jeff Dennings collected payments from several members this morning);
- Board Meeting will be Monday, 10/14/19, at 6:00 p.m. at Crannie’s office;
- Speaker for 10/17/19 – “Ms Black Fit & Fine” Patty Williams
Speaker for 10/24/19 – Shannon Leach from “The Whiting”
Speaker for 10/31/19 – None: Official Business Meeting to address needed Bylaws changes (Bylaws copies and proposed alterations will be distributed next Thursday.);
- “Santa’s Pancake Breakfast” with MSD kids is set tentatively for 12/12/19, with list of names and ages forthcoming for the 36 kids; and
- Monthly webinars offered free to Optimists were shown to members (Check “Opti-Views” or let the Prez know if you are interested).
Until next time, “Promise Yourself…”